Saturday, July 12, 2014

Week 70

So I don't really know how to start out this email. There has been a
lot this week! Lots of good lessons. So I guess I'll start off with
the bad news- Adrian and Jackie. We've been trying hard to contact
them because they are so nice and so solid. Like we love them so so so
so much. But they haven't been responding to our calls or texts. So
we're worried that maybe something happened that maybe embarrassed
them or is making them avoid us.... Lots of things we've thought
about, but since we don't know it's just guessing. We've decided we'll
just text them once a week and if the Spirit tells us, we'll stop by.
I'm really sad because I love them a ton. Like a ton a ton. So it's
been hard because of that. But I don't really want to talk about that
too much. We also stopped by Gustavo and Maria's house. It's he family
that promised me their daughter. Well we were pretty firm with them,
and asked them if they knew it was true if they would be baptized and
they said no. So we dropped them, too. So that's the bad news of this
week.

Well here is some bad/ good news and a good lesson I learned. So I was
on Facebook (I'm teaching Logan's friend in Africa and he's
probably going to get baptized!) and I saw the set list that Saves the
Day played from Mesa, Arizona the other day. I was devastated. I felt
betrayed. They played the entirety of the cd Can't Slow Down from
front to back. It's my favorite Saves the Day album ever, but it's old
and I had given up any chance of ever hearing songs from it live. So
when I saw that, I felt like the other prodigal son (which you should
watch if you haven't. It's super good!) like... I'm out here doing
what I'm supposed to do and Chris Conley goes out and throws a party
without me. Like... It was a weird feeling. So the next day I take out
Preach My Gospel for studies and it falls out of my hands and opens up
to the the letter from the First presidency that says "El Señor le
recompensará y le bendecirá grandemente a medida que le sirva con
humildad y un espíritu de oración. Al trabajar entre los hijos de
Él, recibirá más felicidad que la que jamás haya experimentado." I
don't have it in English on my iPad, I'm sorry. It's like the last
paragraph on page V if you want to look it up. So I was like God will
make it up. And then on Friday Elder Smith, Elder Dunlap, Elder
Minkler and I went to the Habit for burgers and we heard Ghost Town by
the Specials. And I was the good version, where the original singer
does the "Do you remember the good ol days before the ghost town." So
even though it wasn't Saves the Day, God blessed me with some free
beats.

Last Monday we played baseball. It was probably the most fun P Day
activity I've ever had. Not only was it cool because we played
baseball, but Presidente Tobias and his son and Hno Cortez and his son
all came to play with us. It made it super fun and definitely
increased the relationship between us and them. We also heard a
gunshot while we were playing, and then we heard the Vallejo National
Anthem (sirens).

So get this. Exactly one year ago, Lupe Garza got baptized! I can't
believe it. Even though my Spanish wasn't perfect back then, she is
still very close to me. We are definitely going to visit her after the
mission! Elder Hansen also finished his mission the next day. So time
flies!

Last night we went out with Hno Cortez to go visit a less active. He
took us out at like 815, the less active wasn't there, so we headed
back to the church because it was late. But when we got to the church,
we see this van pull up with a blown out tire. And it was our former
investigator! Not the one we just dropped, but this guy with the van
is an eternagator. Super nice guy, just doesn't progess. Well anyway,
we changed his tire so that was a pretty cool miracle.

So Elder Or, the Elder from Hong Kong, is the greatest. He came to our
pad on exchanges, and Elder Teran had taught him this song when he was
in Davis and we were in Woodland. It goes "Por qué despreciaste mi
amor, lo hiciste para un lado, sin decirme ni un adiós, por qué
rechazaste mi amor...." So he and I sang and he had his Hong Kong
accent and it was super funny. He also says fetch all the time, and
when we play basketball he screams it and it's hilarious, so I texted
him and I said "Elder Or, when I go back home and am in a band, we are
going to start the cd with you screaming feeeeetch!" And so he told me
"that is maybe best idea I hear." I love that kid!

Other than that, we've just been talking with a lot of cool people on
the street and knocking doors. We have a lot of potentials that we can
go visit. We went last night to visit a few and some were solid, some
weren't. That's how it goes! But the finding is going well.

I also finished the Book of Mormon this last week in Spanish for the
second time! And this time I felt really, really sad as I finished.
Just sad that the Nefites died, and pretty sad just because the story
was over. Does that make sense? Well anyway, that book is super true.
It's like the only reading material that I can understand 100% in
Spanish. And plus, it just feels true when you read it. So it was a
good experience. I'm not sure if I told you guys, but we're doing a 90
day Book of Mormon challenge, so I was in Alma 1 when we started so
now I have to at least get to Alma again. It's been good though, it's
a lot of fun to read it.



 Well, I love you guys! Be safe, keep healthy!
Elder Foster

No comments:

Post a Comment