Saturday, July 12, 2014

Week 69

One more good week in the numbers! It was super fun. Lots of
contacting, lots of teaching, and picking up new investigators.

So to start off- we did not eat pupusas last Monday. Which was sort of
a blessing, because Hermana Alonso made the biggest burrito for dinner
and I couldn't even ride my bike after eating it because it was so
big. So anyway, we didn't eat pupusas. However! There is this lady
whose door we knocked on a few weeks ago from Guatamala named Edith.
She was pretty nice, she told us to come back on a Monday. So we went
back not on a Monday night (Mondays are busy) and set up an
appointment (which later fell through) but after setting that
appointment we talked to this guy on the street and we asked for his
address and it was the same one. So I was like- hey do you know Edith?
And he was all- yeah, she's my sister in law. And so then we were like
what are the chances? But anyway, we went back for the appointment,
and she wasn't there. So last Monday was like their last shot and she,
he, and her husband were home. We taught them and picked them up as
investigators and have a lesson tonight at 8 with them that we're
bringing our branch mission leader to.

We also hit the goal of 20 contacts every single day this week,
including P Day, the day with the half mission conference in
Fairfield, and Sunday which was not only church but also a fireside
and we only had like 90 minutes that day.

We also taught a lesson to the family that was going to make us
pupusas, but on Wednesday. They PROMISED us they were going to come to
church, we texted them on Saturday night and Sunday morning like they
asked us to, and hey didn't show. Everybody say "Dangit Bobby." That's
an Elder Minkler song thing that he says when things go wrong. I'll
show you when I get home.

On Thursday we did this service project that the missionaries do every
year where we get to clean out an elementary school to help prepare
for summer. A member teaches there and she organized it all. It was
pretty fun, quite a bit of moving around books, desks, and chairs. I
talked a lot with the bilingual teacher there. He helps out the
Spanish kids that come to America that can't speak English, or that
can't read or write. He was from El Salvador. Really nice guy with a
lot of questions. Super fun service project!

So on Friday we had a half mission conference in the greatest city in
California, Fairfield. Ok maybe not the best, but it was my first time
there in about 6 months and it was awesome! So Elder Falabella of the
70 was there. He is from Guatamala, and his English is a little hard
to understand. Some of the things he talked about was how the mission
is like a university for life, and how things like setting goals many
making plans, studying, and prayer need to become part of who we are,
not just what we do on a mission. I'll send an email with all my
notes, but the cool thing was that he had invited us to find 2
families to teach before the conference, and we found them José,
Edith, and Victor (1) and Manuel and Berta and their kids (2). He had
also asked us to invite families to come eat lunch with us and then
share their testimonies in front of all the missionaries. Elder Wright
and I invited the Diaz family, so Mauricio, Danny, and Luz came. and
it was really cool because as she was sharing her testimony I got to
translate for her. It was just a really special moment. They also saw
a Elder Walker for the first time since he and I left Fairfield. After
the conference we got an OG Fairfield photo. It was a foto of All of
the missionaries that I served with in Fairfield that were there at
the conference (except Elder Terrill. He was busy fixing iPads). Some
of my best friends for sure. After that conference we visited Jim West
(aka G West On the Hood as Elder Lopez would say) and Ortega, my cholo
investigator. It was super cool. And then we ate dinner with my
favorite family in Vallejo, the Cortez family. I'm pretty sure he was
in the Mexican mafia before being baptized, because he just thugs
everywhere and I love them. She's like the coolest member ever too.
He's coming to play baseball with us today for P Day!

President Alba gave a fireside last night for all Spanish the members
of the Napa Stake last night. For the Napa stake, the Spanish
organizations are the Los Santos Branch (Vallejo), the Chapel Hill
Branch (Napa), the Spanish group from Sonoma, and a few Spanish
Members that go to the Saint Helena English branch. Elder Minkler and
I were the only ones from Vallejo, but let me say that even though we
love the farthest away, Vallejo repped hard. We had, including the
youth, about 20 members from our branch there, and outside of
missionaries, there were probably 40 people. So our branch had a
strong presence. It felt super awesome, and it was very proud of our
branch! After that we had a little snack and I saw El Tigre de Napa,
Hermano Avila! And a few other members from Napa. It was really fun!
We also just got a new high counselor over our branch, Hno Holyoaks,
who served in Guatamala. He came up to me after and started talking to
me in Spanish, asking if I could email him the phone numbers, names,
and areas covered in Vallejo. Well all this was in Spanish, and then
he said something in English, and he was all- oh sorry, do you speak
English? My pride level went up very high at that moment. He didn't
even know I was white! I mean he is white, so it wasn't as cool as a
Spanish member telling me that, but you know. It made me feel good!

Other than that, just a lot of finding. We have lots of cool potential
families that we've talked to, we've been finding a lot of Hispanics
in Vallejo. There are a lot here, the difficulty is just finding them,
because they are not all concentrated to one area.



 Sent from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment