Monday, February 24, 2014

Week 52

Dear Family,
I had no idea that the Olympics were on until the email last week. And then it didn't click until I actually saw them on TV. Kind of weird. Even with Facebook, we are still pretty out of the world.

Happy Valentine's day! And happy birthday Mom! This week was a really fun week, but I think the highlight of the week was Valentine's Day. We had a dance that we, the Elders, decorated. It All looked really good. Ok now I'm going to explain the difference between an American church party and a Spanish church party. American church parties are cool. There is food, there is entertainment, but the lights are on, and since in our ward everyone is old, everyone that is there sits down. However, Spanish parties are where it is at. There were nachos, soda, and snacks. Not only that, we had a DJ. The lights were off. EVERYONE was dancing, including our old lady investigator Alicia. They played Spanish music for the old people, and new music for the young people from the branch. Everyone from the branch came including a lot of our less actives. Which brings us to a really cool part. We contacted two guys from Honduras that were interested in the church and English Classes. We got their number, and told them we would call them. Well, at the dance Friday night, they show up with our less active from Honduras, Angel! Automatic fellow shipper. But, antihero bonus, they also lived with Fidel last year, and Fidel's new roommate was just baptized! So these guys should be sweet.

We also picked up two new investigators, Veronica and Juan. They're pretty young and we teach them in English, but they will go to the Spanish Branch. Veronica knows a less active member pretty well, and wait for it.... The last time the less active person gave a referral to the missionaries she got baptized! We have big hoped for these two as well.

Another cool thing that happened- Alicia was waiting for a ride from her nephew to church in Sunday, but he cancelled. She was just sitting outside enjoying the weather when Joel and his fiancée roll up (he has come with us to lessons before), and offers her a ride. So she came to church! In addition to Fidel and a 16 year old girl named Paola from our area.

So the week was good. We had a good district meeting, about the Book of Mormon, and my district meeting tomorrow is about prayer. Even though I don't have a lot of responsibility (my district is the STL, her comp, my comp, and the Zone Lords, I enjoy it!

The Diaz family sent Elder Wright and I nice yellow trump ties with their names and the date of heir baptism signed on the inside. Best family ever.

I think that's about it for the week. It's been a looooong week. I feel like I haven't even emailed in like 3 weeks it has been so long. Transfers are coming up, and I'm not going to lie, it is going to be nice to have a change. If President asks me to train again, I'm coming home. Not really though, I just want a hard working companion who speaks Spanish. Is that too much to ask for?

Food here is good. This Sunday we are going to be eating tamales with bananas instead of the corn husks. Nothing too special from the last week, but every Monday we eat with Marylyn, so I will let you know next week what it is. My best food area has been Napa. And as far as the mission goes, I've heard the best are Napa, Vallejo, and San Rafael. Woodland is pretty good. There is an helote stand next to a less actives house and they are like a dollar and he always buys them for us. Which means that usually the next day I am pooping a lot, but it's worth it. I always just want him to buy 2, have him say "surprise" and then I would say "GET THAT CORN OUT OF MY FACE" but that hasn't happened yet unfortunately. Hopefully I get the chance before I leave. 

But the work is true! I'm super glad I am out here. We are going to the temple on the 20th, which is my year mark. I can't even believe it. It's time to put in work and try my very hardest! I'm excited to see what this last year holds for me. It's been a good year. Some solid baptisms. I know for sure I was supposed to meet, like the Diaz family. Some companions I have truly loved like Elder Hansen, Lopez, and Wright. It's been super hard. I had to learn Spanish. But  I've seen God's hand in my life. I learned Spanish (better than most gringos in the mission, according to some. I think I've just mastered the art of conversation.) with the help of the gift of tongues, and I still have a lot I want to learn. I've had tons of rejections, some people bash with us, a lot of people yell Hail Satan from cars, and lots of other junk that happens, but it's all been worth it. I love my mission.

Love you guys! I miss you! Have a wonderful week! And happy birthday Mom!

No comments:

Post a Comment