Sunday, August 31, 2014

Week 78

I feel like there is so much to write about this week and I don't even
know where to start. I think the best place would be to answer the
question that you are all asking. What is happening with transfers?
Well, I'll start off with the branch. Elder Albertson is staying,
Elder Delgado is going to Petaluma. Elder Carrillo is finishing his
mission, and Elder Wright is staying. Elder Dunlap is going to my old
area in Woodland (I looked through my planners and made a list of
people that I want him to go see, like potentials and former
investigators), and Elder Tepox is staying and training. I,
unfortunately, am leaving the city of Vallejo. Where am I going? To a
place sometimes called the promised land, but known to most as Death
Star, the Eye of Mordor, the Chamber of Secrets. The city of- Santa
Rosa. My new companions will be Elder Whitaker, he came out with me
the first day in the mission, he's from Georgia, and Elder Grisham aka
Grishy Bear from Anchorage, Alaska. I'm in a trio again! As far as
why? I think it's a joke from President since I said that it's been
taxing being in a branch with 8 missionaries (Woodland, Vallejo), he
decided to make me the 9th missionary in the branch! Very funny,
right? I thought so at least. Well the good news is is that I'll be in
the same branch as Hermana Fernandeth, the one from Spain, and the
same zone as Hermana Hernandez, who just got moved to English for her
last transfer. So even though I don't really know the Elders in the
zone, I'm with the 2 coolest sister missionaries. But the point is,
I'm really, really, really going to miss Vallejo. Like really really
really bad. I love this city. Even though we we come back to visit the
mission, we probably shouldn't stay nights here because you know. It
is kind of bad.

I'm glad that the funeral went well! It sounds like it was good to
have the family altogether. I wish I could have been there with all
the cousins. When was the last time that happened? Hopefully we can
all get together for something that is not a funeral when I get home.

This week Robin Williams passed away. He lived in Sam Rafael, a few
missionaries had contacted him (I've seen a video of it actually, not
just rumors) he's not too cool with the church, but he was still a
very funny man. In addition to that, Jay Adams, the famous Z Boy, just
passed away.

Also, Chris Evans (Captain America, evil ex#2 from Scott Pilgrim) is a
Mormon and lives in Santa Rosa, he went to church last Sunday and some
missionaries posted a picture of it. Maybe I'll see him!

So I guess we'll get going on the week! Elder Wright and I FINALLY got
to go on an exchange after 2 transfers, and it was probably the
greatest exchange of my whole mission. We were knocking doors and then
this guy opens the door and signals for us to come in. Well, it's this
family from Iraq. They didn't speak any English, but he was Christian,
she was Muslim. They had a 14 year old son named Abraham who spoke
Arabic and English, and acted as a translator. They had just moved
here from New York, and they were looking for friends and a church. We
shared with them the message of the Restoration, translated through a
14 year old. The spirit was there really strong. So that was a super
cool experience, the bad part was that I broke soda edge. They didn't
ask us if we wanted anything because of the language barrier, and just
brought out 2 ice cold pepsis. Not wanting to offend them, I suck it
up and drank it. It was the best tasting soda I've had in my whole
life. That must be what heroine feels like.

Sauri and Jackie are doing really well! They were super bummed when I
texted them on Friday night about transfers. We are visiting them
today as soon as we finish emails. Really, I love them so much. They
came to church yesterday and it was really cool. I sat next to them
while Elder Ford sat next to our other investigators (I'll explain
more later.). But anyway, I told them about our trip in February out
here, they're excited for that. I'm so glad I've been able to teach
them. They really are a beautiful family. And it's kind of weird, but
I feel kind of like an Uncle to Andres, their son. I've seen him grow
up a ton. When I got here he couldn't even walk, and now he's running
and he always sits right next to me at church. When I get back, he'll
be talking.

The branch is pretty bummed that they are losing their "chilango." I
think part of it is since we've been having a lot of success with
people coming to church they don't want change. I'm sure things will
still be good. Tonight we are visiting the Guzman family. They hosted
a Barbeque on Saturday in a park for all of the missionaries that are
leaving (without habaneros, thankfully.). I'll send a picture of that.

So Marcos and Norma. Unfortunately, we couldn't teach them this week,
just conflicting schedules. We called them on Saturday and we left a
message, we weren't sure if they were going to come out. But when we
walked into the chapel after Elders Quorum, they were sitting there in
the chapel! I was so stoked. Hermana A did a great job and sat
next to them. And after Sacrament Meeting, we went outside to take a
branch photo, and they were in it and everyone was talking to them,
they had huge smiles and felt so welcome. They even said they've found
their church! The cool part is that they asked Hermana A what
time classes start so that they can come! Solid. We are teaching them
one last time tonight. Even though I won't be around to baptize them,
they will be baptized and I'm so glad that I was able to plan that
seed. We are teaching them tonight with Hna A.

So that's it I think. It's been a good week. They changed transfers to
Tuesday so I'm leaving tomorrow and tonight is my last night. But I've
been super glad and grateful for the chance to serve in Vallejo. I
don't think that this area has only changed my mission, but pretty
much my whole life. I've learned so many lessons here. Some were
learned the easy way, and others the hard way, but I think that this
place has been a defining point of my mission. I can definitely say
I'm not the same person that I was when I came in. One of the big
things that they say is "Leave your area better than you found it."
Well, we bumped it up from 3 lessons a week to 10-13 a week. We have
found families that are attending church and that are going to get
baptized. We got Sauri and Jackie to come to church consistently after
they had been being taught since January without coming. I can
definitely say that this area has taught me a lot about hard work and
prayer. I may not have baptized, but looking back on these last three
transfers, I can say without a doubt that I put my all into this city.
The only regret I have from here in Vallejo is not taking enough
pictures. I really am proud of what I've become here and the work I've
been able to do. I mean, I know it's all God. But I feel like God has
worked through me here. I don't mean to sound cocky or prideful. But I
love this city and I really am sad that I have to leave.

I'll let you know all about what the Death Star is like next week. I
love you guys!
XstayXstrongX
Mufosta
Well, as i was emailing a friend, I just got a bomb dropped on me.
Like a big bomb. No longer am I going to Santa Rosa. I'm going up to
the great white north. I'm going to the farthest north in the mission.
I'm going to Crescent City. It's an English area, I'm serving there
with an Elder Yepez. He was called to serve English, but he speaks
Spanish. So basically I'm going to an English Ward, serving English
and Spanish. I am now a zebra! Pretty crazy. I never thought that it
was possible. Well, that's crazy!



No comments:

Post a Comment