Sunday, October 12, 2014

Week 84

 
 
I guess the first week in Crescent City is always the most crazy. It happened last transfer, and it happened again this transfer. On Tuesday I woke up at three, put on a sweatshirt and gym shorts and we drove to Mckinelyville. We got there at around 5, sent off Elder Yepez with Elder McCall and I crashed until 730 since I was so exhausted. We did studies, and then Elder Bishop pulled a funny trick. It's a tradition that every Elder who goes to Mckinelyville, either on exchanges or assigned there, has to go to this cliff on the ocean for their first contact. Well the funny thing about this tradition is that there are always attractive girls from the college in Arcata with not lots of clothes on. It went just about as poorly as you can imagine. No tengo mucho pegue con las chavas. Anyways, Elder Payne got to Eureka at 7 and oh man it was great. I love Elder Payne. So we drove back and got to CC at 9ish. It's been a good week, kind of long as well, and it seems that every Monday I can't even remember a single thing of what we did, but I'll try not to miss anything important. But he and I had a good talk about being one, not just with each other, but being one in our companionship and with God so that we can invoke his hand in the work "Behold, this I have given unto you as a parable, and it is even as I am. I say unto you, be one; and if ye are not one ye are not mine." D&C 38:27

On Thursday Elder Payne and I went to the beach. Now don't worry, it wasn't during proselyting time. A member gave us a gift card to CC's Diner since her husband doesn't like the church or the missionaries but she still wanted to feed us. So we ate there, it was actually a pretty good burger. It's the "Number One Burger Place In Del Norte County" 5 years running, which isn't saying much considering that the only competition is Burger King and McDonald's. And so we ate there and we needed to give the other Elders a ride to their next appointment after their dinner and since we still had dinner time left we went to the beach, took pictures, and contacted some people. It was way fun! 

Well on Thursday night we heard some commotion outside of our apartment complex, and it was pretty bad so we actually called 911. The cops came in about 2 minutes, got it taken care of, and then we get a knock on the door.  It's about 10 PM at this point, so we are just wearing gym shorts and hoodies, but we answered it and it was none other than Officer Lo! So it was our investigator who had responded to the call, he said when he heard it was called by "Nicholas Foster" he would come check it out, he saw our jeep, and then just looked for the Jesus card on our door. We set up a lesson with him and reminded him about conference. Just a funny coincidence! 

On Friday we had to go down to Eureka for Zone Meeting, which was fun because Elder Ashton is my Zone Leader! He even brought me my wolf blanket that I forgot in Vallejo. Also, Elder Brett Evans was there and so it was just like a high school reunion. 

Friday night we set up a lesson with the B family. So there was some bad news, Sister B may or may not have cancer, but they are doing tests. We gave her a blessing, and I think it was really cool for Darryl to see that. Even though we were go into teach the Word of Wisdom, when someone gives you information like that (and some other stuff in their extended family), and being unsure if Grace's dad would sign the paper, we read Mosiah 23 and 24 with them. It was a powerful lesson. Well, we fasted for Grace's dad yesterday. I hope you guys were able to join in that fast, because last night as we got out of dinner we received a text that said that Grace's dad signed the paper, and Grace will be baptized on the 18th!!! So if you guys fasted, thanks so much. Definitely a miracle.

In addition to that, Sophie went to therapy. Her therapist was shocked that she was in therapy for wanting to go to church and be baptized, especially due to the fact that she was 18. So her therapist was like "well, since we're all good there, is there anything else you'd like to talk about?" She said nope, the therapist told her mom that she wasn't brainwashed, and now Sophie is allowed to meet with us, but not get baptized. 

Conference this weekend was amazing! It was all so spiritually filling, I really liked what Henry B Eyring said, along the lines of how human judgement and logical thinking will not be enough to receive answers to life's toughest questions. Thomas S Monson's was great, too, about walking how Jesus walked. I think my favorite was the one-two punch from Uchtdorf and Eyring during Priesthood session. I liked how a lot of it was sticking to our beliefs, but not being contentious about it. We need to stand firm in our testimonies. 

Also through fasting and looking at the major requirements I've decided that I'm going to declare biology as my major, which sucks because my math class from last semester is basically useless. Whatever. 

Well, I love you guys! Have a great week! 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment