Monday, April 1, 2013

March 25

So another boring week at the MTC. But things are getting better! On Friday, we received our travel plans for California! We leave the MTC a week from tomorrow, which is April 2nd. We have to meet at the Travel Office at 5AM and we will be taken by vans to the airport. I'm a little bummed, my companion Elder Giddens is in a different travel group, but hopefully we'll see each other at the airport or something. I'm so excited to get out of here! Don't get me wrong, I'll make the best of my time here, but I'm pretty ready for California. 
We also got a new district in our zone. They are all Elders, which is quite strange to have. They are all going to the Mexico Monterey Mission. I thought that the Mission Elder Killpack was going to was scary, McAllen Texas (which had Laredo in it), but this one is way awful. They were saying it's the most dangerous mission in the world. They're also all incredibly pale and slightly really chubby, so they shouldn't have anything to worry about, right?
Here at the MTC, we teach fake investigators. They are our 2 teachers, and they take on the role of someone they have taught. Our teacher, Hermana Hudson, is incredibly blonde and white. She was taking on the role of Christelle, who is from Africa, but she taught her in Chile. We had invited her to church, and when we checked up on our next lesson, she said that she went. She told us (rough English translation) "Everyone was looking at me weird, I'm not sure if it was because I was new, or if it was because I'm black." So, in my Spanish mind, I reviewed morena in my mind and remembered what it said. My companion did the same thing as "Christelle" cracked a smile. When I looked at her to respond, I couldn't hold the laugh in. I started cracking up, she followed as well as my companion. We probably laughed for about three minutes, and it was hard to get it under control, because whenever I talked to her in the context of our lesson, I couldn't stop thinking about how she was black. Afterward, in class, I asked her "You're from Africa, why are you white?" To which she replied, "You can't just ask somebody why they're white!" Which is a Mean Girls reference. I'm not racist, I swear.
Last night we had a devotional from Stephen B. Allen, who gave us our first devotional here as well. It was the exact same talk, but from a completely different perspective. It was cool, I really enjoyed it.
And get this- we're having a special Sacrament meeting for Easter Sunday, and there will be a general authority. Here's what I'm thinking. I've been here for 5 weeks, and we've seen only member of the 70, with the exception of M. Russel Ballard, and they said that there would be general authorities, I'm thinking it's got to be someone from the First Presidency. And then, when they're giving their conference talks, they'll say something around the lines of "So I checked on the progress of the MTC since the announcement..." I sure hope it's someone cool! We keep on telling the new district that Jefferey R. Holland's granddaughter is here, and so he's speaking on Tuesday since it's her last week. It sounds mean, but it's a tradition. It's what the oldest district told us when we got here, but the joke was on them, since we still saw an Apostle. 
Miss you all and love you!
Elder Mufosta


1 comment: